Tuesday 14 July 2009

The Villa

Note: I was inspired to write this love poem after being struck by the first couple lines of another poem on the internet. Those lines stuck in my mind and I was compelled to continue where the two lines led. So I stole the first two lines - but after - realising my crime - I laundered them to make them my own by changing them in ways that better suited my purpose. So here's to the unknown poet who inspired me and here's to all great artists that were thieves.

The Villa

In a Villa that we built on sand,
I traced our play upon your hand,
while in the yard, an orange tree,
held heavy fruit, that fantasy,
clung to its’ branches, fixed and fast
as Shadow grew across the grass.
This did I promise, This Grandest deed,
assured and soft, and you believed.
Oh how you laughed, and clasped my voice.
I loved you then,
and how.

But how Time twists its’ knife into our story,
and prised me from my promise.
And how I laboured long to gather,
at night, the blood and teardrops of my conquest,
While you slept,
I wept,
and yet-
in my memory you shine,
and in my mind, my foolish words stayed,
true and kind,
and still,
I hold you now, as then,
elipsed in time,
and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment